Request A Quote:

Preferred contact:

Frequently Asked Questions:

Employer Resources

Our Services

What is the difference between an independant contractor and an employee?

There are serious repurcussions for miscategorizing an employee as an independent contractor, but there are resources provided by the IRS that can help you make this determination

back to top

I've never had an employee before. What do I need to do before hiring my first?

We can guide you through this process, but if you’re looking for a checklist, these are the steps you’ll need to take:

  • Obtain a Federal EIN (Form SS-4)
  • Register with your state as an employer. In California this is the California Registration Form for Commercial Employers (DE-1)
  • Obtain Worker's Compensation Insurance. This can be obtained either through your private insurance provider with the added benefit of qualifying for multi-policy discounts, or through state programs such as State Fund in California.
  • Post required Federal and State notices in a prominent place. You can pick up a copy of this poster at any local office supply store.

back to top

A new employee starts today. What paperwork do I need to have them complete?

You can download a copy of the new employee packet and checklist through the customer portal. Once logged in, select New Hire from the Resources menu.

back to top

What are my options for pay periods?

The most common payroll periods are weekly, bi-weekly (every other week), semi-monthly, and monthly. There are no specific rules for pay dates other than compliance with your state laws. California provides a guide for assisting business owners with this determination.

back to top

We will be letting an employee go. When do I need to give them their final paycheck?

This varies from state to state. In California, an employee who is discharged must be paid all wages due (including accrued vacation time) immediately at the time of termination.

back to top

An employee has given notice to quit. When do I need to give them their final paycheck?

This varies from state to state. In California, an employee who gives at least 72 hours notice must be paid all wages due (including accrued vacation time) at the conclusion of their final workday. An employee who quits without giving notice must be paid all wages due (including accrued vacation time) within 72 hours of quitting.

back to top

What additional paperwork must I give an employee on their final day?

You can download a copy of the terminated employee or (severance employee) packet and checklist through the customer portal. Once logged in, select Severance from the Resources menu.

back to top

What area do you service?

We provide payroll preparation services throughout the state of California.

back to top

Can I get payroll services even if I only have 1 employee?

Yes! Whether you have 1 employee or 100, it is important to be sure that your payroll is prepared correctly and your Federal and State reports and returns are filed correctly and on time.

back to top

What is the deadline for submitting employee hours?

Hours and changes (adding an employee, hourly rate changes, etc.) are due in no later than 3 days prior to your pay day. This gives us time to process and payroll and ready it for delivery with plenty of cushion in case there are any questions.

back to top

When will my payroll be delivered?

Payroll delivery is no later than the day prior to pay day.

back to top

What are my options for payroll delivery?

For businesses located within our delivery zone (including most of San Diego County, Orange County and the Inland Empire), delivery can be made either by Prime Payroll Services drivers or by a courier service. Delivery is included in our standard prices.

back to top

Are there any fees for adding direct deposit?

There is no fee for direct deposit, however payroll salary/hours must be submitted and/or approved three and a half days prior to pay day to allow for preparation and submission through the banking system. This means, for example, that payroll must be approved by noon on Tuesday for a Friday pay day.

back to top

What happens if there's a mistake on a check or payroll report?

All paychecks and reports are double checked prior to delivery, but if a mistake is made, please contact customer service immediately.

back to top

Does Prime Payroll Services keep all my documents on file? For how long?

We keep copies of all paperwork including employee W-9 forms, employee paystubs, Federal and State reports and returns, and year end W-2 and W-3 forms for the duration of your services agreement. You can download copies of these documents by logging into your account or you can request a copy any time by calling customer service at (888) 897-5035.

back to top

Do I need to wait until the end of the quarter or year to start using Prime Payroll Services?

No. We can pick up where you left off in the middle of a quarter, month, or pay period.

back to top

What documents do I need to get started?

This depends on if you are just starting payroll for the first time, or if you're moving your services to Prime Payroll Services. Either way, we'll work with you to complete any the necessary paperwork. For all accounts, we need a copy of our processing schedule and agreement, a voided check for the account you use to pay your employees, a copy of the W-4 for each employee, and a signed Federal Form 8865: Reporting Agent Authorization. For new employers, our customer service team will work with you to get the proper Federal and State paperwork filed.

back to top

How do I cancel my payroll preparation and delivery services with Prime Payroll Services?

Please contact our customer service department at (888) 897-5035 between 9:00 am – 6:00 pm Monday through Friday.

back to top